The Litter Box

Blog Tools
Edit your Blog
Build a Blog
RSS Feed
View Profile
« October 2016 »
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
You are not logged in. Log in
Entries by Topic
All topics  «
A Bonus in the Box!
blast from the past!
Busy Day in the Box!
Cats, Catz and Kats
Fashionable Kat
fun with fabric friday
Graph Paper Patterns
grumble grumble
Happy Kat!
I can has topik?
I Made It!
I need a topic?
Jeebus sightings!
Jewelry and Beads
No Topic Today!
odds and ends
Project Runway Canada II
Random KatBox Droppings
Rants and Raves
Really Important Stuff
Retro Rules!
Sewing FAQ's
Squirrels in the news
The Fungus AmungUs
The Kreative Kat
The New Box!
The weekly flower report!
Things to make.
this 'n that 'n the other
Throwback Thurdays
Web Insanity
Weird Science
What I Did This Weekend
Works in Progress
Tuesday, 25 October 2016
A new warm Hoodie for me!
Topic: Works in Progress


 While I was shopping for a bit of lace for the grey skirt re-con I found the above fabric at Len's.  It's a low loft polar fleece. One side has the buffalo plaid and the other side is solid aqua. There was only two meters on the roll so I snapped it up right away. I wanted to make a hoodie from it and thought about the classic bomber style hoodie, but I already have enough of those. I decided to think about it for a few days then decide.

On one of these few days I got the newest BurdaStyle and found this Siberian Parka styled hoodie:

The Siberian Parka has a large hood and closures at the top. It pulls over whatever you are wearing. Often the hood, cuffs and bottom hem are trimmed with fur. This one has the hood with fur trim only. The sleeves are in the 9/10ths length -one that I can't stand because it looks like the sleeves are a tad too short.

I traced and cut the pattern and pinned the paper together for a quick fit. this thing is HUUUGE. Across the bust it's 52 inches. That's way larger than it needs to be even to fit over bulky things. I ended up putting the large sized pieces back on the master pattern sheet and re-tracing a smaller size. I still had to eliminate a bit of excess under the arms. I added an ease pleat under the center front yoke. That gave enough room to fit over other things and it narrowed the shape enough that it didn't look so large under the armpits.

I've noticed that a lot of burda patterns seem to be very large in the upper body area. Some also have necklines that are way too wide and don't hug the neck. I've been doing a lot of neckline alterations on burda patterns these days and it getting annoying. Some necks are open to a mere one and a half inch shoulder seam. This is too close to the shoulder and it is difficult to keep bra straps covered. An extra inch would be enough for most day dresses while an inch and a half would be best for blouses and tops. One top I pivoted at the waistline to make the upper back narrower and the hip a bit wider to give it less of a wedge fit and more of a contoured fit.

I also lengthened it at the hem and got rid of a weird dipsy-doodle in the hem from front to back. It had a slight high-low hem line and I do not like that look.

After adjustments I cut the fabric and I am now in the middle of sewing it all together. Polar fleece is super simple to sew, requires no pressing or edge finishes and is warm and cuddly. At this point all I have to do is hem and add fur trim. I should have it done by the end of today and I can wear it tomorrow.





Posted by lincatz at 10:53 AM EDT
Post Comment | Permalink Bookmark and Share
Bookmark and Share

View Latest Entries